Tid-bits you might not know about Karen Carpenter:
- Favorite drink was iced tea.
- "A Star on Earth - A Star in Heaven" is
written in her mausoleum.
- Among her friends were Petula Clark,
Olivia Newton-John and Dionne Warwick.
- Dedicated her solo album to her brother
- She never liked the song "Superstar",
one of the hit Carpenters songs she was famous for.
- Her favorite Carpenters song was "I
Need To Be In Love".
- The song "Now", recorded
in April 1982, was the last song she ever recorded
and was made in one take!
- Collected Disney memorabilia.
- Loved to play softball/baseball.
- Had to have surgery on her ear, during
the late 1970s.
- Was married by televangelist Dr. Robert
- Went to Bora Bora, for her honeymoon.
- Cross-stitched to pass the time.
- Terry Ellis, co-owner of Chrysalis records and
temporary manager to Karen and Richard after Richard
fired Sherwin Bash. Karen moved in with Terry in
1975 but this only lasted a week because she liked
staying at home watching TV and cross-stitching while
Terry liked late night dinners and clubs.
- Dated Alan Osmond, Mark Harmon and Bill Hudson
(Kate Hudson's dad)
- Serious relationship with John Adrian (of BBC's "Softly,
Softly") while on tour in England in 1976. He was
with A&M in England.
- Serious relationship with Tom Bahler in 1978 or
- Relatinship with David Alley. Was Richard's manager
until fairly recently when he was let go. He was
also a pall bearer at Karen's funeral
- Both Elvis and Gene Simmons of kiss
tried to seduce Karen?
- Petula Clark's quote on what Happened
- " She reveals: "We were just doing
sort of a girls night out and we
went to see him and we went backstage, of course,
and we had a very
nice time with him. Little by little all of his chums
and, you know,
hangers-on disappeared from the dressing room and
it was just Elvis,
Karen and myself.
"After awhile I realized that Elvis was coming
on quite heavily to
both of us. Karen was very innocent, at the time
anyway, and I was
sort of like the older sister. I said, `Karen, we've
got to get out
of here' and she said, `What?' and I said, `Come
on, we're leaving
"So eventually I more or less dragged her out.
Elvis looked a bit
downtrodden by this. He wanted us both.
FAQ's | Did
You Know? | Jaguar 1979